Monday, November 23, 2009

The modern 51 apparently is 60...

I admit that I have never been very good in math. When I was young, the school systems forced modern math upon me, only to later abandon the experimental fad after, for me, the damage had been done.

But despite my problems with modern math, I always thought that 51 was a percentage majority for 100.

Let's do some figuring...There are 50 states. Each state has two senators. Fifty times two is 100. Fifty percent of 100 would be exactly half. So, 51 percent would be a majority. Right?

So, why do Senate leaders calculate a majority at 60 percent or 60 votes out of 100? That's nine points beyond an actual majority. Fifty-one votes should be what determines whether legislation passes or fails. Not 60. And not 56 plus trying to get goofball Blue Dogs like Blanche Lincoln, Ben Nelson, Mary Landrieu, and Joe Lieberman to join for a total of 60 votes for health care reform legislation (which, of course, needs to include a public option program).

I think the Senate needs to respect the notion of a majority.

I realize the doggone electoral college messes around with presidential election--and I have never understood why that should usurp the majority popular vote, either.

Not always is majority rule the best choice. But it still means a majority has spoken, and that usually relates to democracy in action. When it comes to the Senate or the House, I like that concept. Modern math or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment