Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Movies I hated and why...

The movies I absolutely hated:

The "Saw" series and other like-minded movies that feature gruesome torture. I saw the first Saw movie and made the mistake of stumbling upon a part of another one on TV. Cruel, mean, meaningless.

In that regard, I also hated the movie "Five Fingers," which probably is Dick Cheney's favorite movie. In this movie, not only is torture featured, but also the rule of law, which is crucial to a democracy, is squished like a bug and that is supposed to be justifiable. Well, I have a different opinion.

I have noticed that since the start of the Bush wars, there has been an emergence in American movies of the theme of torture with the more common graphic violence. Does the violence of war contagiously affect the national view or acceptance of cruelty? Hopefully not, but it makes me wonder when I look at recent movies. If it is some poisonous attempt to excuse the always criminal use of torture and to desensitize people to cruelty, it is a disservice to the nation and world. It is one matter to tell a story that includes torture for the factual history of it or as a statement or discussion about it. It is something completely different to use it for shock value and gratuitousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment