Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baffled by mysteries of popular opinion...

Sometimes I am baffled by the mysteries of media, politics, pop culture and life. Here are some examples...

  1. Actress Lindsay Lohan recently made the TV news and I had one question: Why? I know it had to do with court, and that's always public record, but otherwise why would we care about an actress whose work I can't even cite in terms of one memorable movie or TV show. If it were Meryl Streep or Sissy Spacek or Hilary Swank, yes, those are actresses of measure, with awards to show for it. They'd be worthy of TV air time, for the good or the bad. But Lohan? Give us a break.
  2. The Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu recently met with President Obama. I heard news anchor Chuck Todd on MSNBC say, "They both need each other." Netanyahu seems like a real yahoo and not in a positive sense, if you ask me. Maybe those guys need each other in some political sense, but as for the greater picture, I can certainly see that Israel needs the U.S.; I just don't see how the U.S. needs Israel. Israel needs the U.S. for the billions of foreign aid we give them and because American religious fundamentalists would have a fit if America didn't stand by Israel even when it doesn't deserve it. On the other hand, if Israel had good sense, it would have forged peace with all of its Arab neighbors decades ago. That's the best way to a secure future. Instead, Israel has been a thorn in the side of peace negotiations and has ruled under the arrogant terms of "might makes right" and the non-Golden rule of "We treat you like we wouldn't like to be treated." America has taken a beating because of that friendship and there are two wars going on that are rooted in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Of course, the Arab countries of the Middle East add to the dysfunctional politics because they are almost all commanded by dictators (and there's no future to that) and a conservative religion that wants to dominate political law. The best thing that ever happened in America was the concept of separation of church and state, which allows people to have whatever religion they want but denies the religious pulpit from narrowly ruling the government or society. Can you imagine if Baptists or Mormons determined the course of American political law? Oh, the horrors!
  3. Queen Elizabeth visited New York recently. Ironically, near the Fourth of July, the date in 1776 when America fortunately gave the rule of royalty the boot. At least the modern royalty there doesn't have any real political power. Here's the difference between the Brits and me. They like their royals. I think they are wasting their money.
  4. I saw a recent news report that teens in Texas were biting each other as a sign of affection (?!!! -- I guess because there are vampires in the "Twilight" movies). So-called "tween" girls (those beTWEEN teenager and diapers, I guess) enjoy the "Twilight" book and movie series. I always think it is good if people are reading books. As for the movies, I have watched two in the "Twilight" series (the first one because I was curious and the second one because I wanted to give it another chance) and I guess I would review those movies as "dull, slow, and boring." But I have never been part of the crowd when it came to movie series sequels that others liked. For some of the most boring movies I have ever watched, I would list these series titles: "Harry Potter," "Twilight," and, probably worst of all, "The Pirates of the Carribean," as well as the series of "Star Wars" movies, with the exception of the first one which was worthy because it set a higher standard for special effects. Thank goodness some series movies have hopefully come to an end, such as the cruel Hannibal Lecter junk (the first one was worthy for acting and scare), the exhausting "Indiana Jones" action, and the repetitive Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street slasher nonsense.
  5. I really like Morgan Freeman as an actor. He is in a lot of great movies. But here's something I have never figured out. CBS News is using Morgan Freeman's voice as the introduction to Katie Couric on the evening news. Freeman's voice replaced the voice of Walter Cronkite. Though he is deceased, Cronkite is still the absolute best in news anchoring and reporting. Freeman is a great actor, but he's no Cronkite, especially concerning journalism. So, why would CBS choose to replace the voice of Cronkite? Wouldn't you think they'd want to keep that association?

And that's the baffling news and bewildered commentary for this news cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment